October 26, 2011
Tankless water heaters are also known as instant water heaters. These units make sense for homeowners for several reasons. In vacation homes they can be very desirable. Here are some of the main reasons why tankless water heaters make sense as opposed to the traditional water heater.
1. Tankless water heaters conserve energy. Traditional water heaters have a tank that is constantly filled with water. The traditional water heater provides hot water in your home by constantly heating the water in the tank to maintain it at a set temperature. Tacoma tankless water heaters work differently. Tankless units heat water by activating a set of coils that become hot when the unit is turned on. As the water passes over the coils, it is heated. The temperature set on the control determines how hot the water will be when it comes out of the tap and, thus, how hot the coils become and how quickly the water moves across the coils. Tankless water heaters conserve energy by only heating the amount of water needed at a given moment and by heating the water only when it is needed.
2. Tankless water heaters are perfect for vacation and second homes. When you are not staying in a second home or a vacation home, it is always wise to turn off any appliances and utilities not in use. This saves money and protects your property. Use of tankless water heaters in these second homes eliminates the risk of a leaking water heater tank, eliminates the cost of leaving the water heater running when the house is not in use, and eliminates the long wait when you do use the house while the gallons and gallons of water in the tank reach the desired temperature.
3. Tankless water heaters are a perfect idea when water must travel from one end of the house (where the hot water heater is located) to the other end of the house (a second or third bathroom). If you are serious about conserving water, consider the amount of water used when you run water waiting for the hot water to reach the tap you are using. If there is only a short distance between the water heater and the tap, you might not waste a lot of water. But if the water must travel to the other end of the house, you could waste a large amount of water and you might find that the water cools somewhat as it passes through the pipes. A tankless water heater provides instant hot water at the desired temperature.
If you are a homeowner interested in conserving water, conserving energy, or protecting your investment in a second home or a vacation home, you might want to consider installing tankless water heaters.
October 24, 2011
Do not even attempt to tinker around with your home’s plumbing and pipe work unless you want to run the risk of having water running all over the place soaking up your floors, furniture, and other fixtures. There are professional plumbers who have the expertise and tools for every possible problem in the water outlets, the drainage system, the underground pipes, and the water heating systems in your home – needless to say, they are better equipped than you are in terms of the work at hand and would be able to do the work for you more competently.
A Tacoma plumbing system is complex with various interconnecting components that affect one another – you might not know it but you might have a leak already starting under your house especially if your house has been around for quite a while. Only an experienced professional plumber would be able to render you these services often listed in the following categories:
- Leak Repairs – This usually involves fixing pipes that have burst or cracked, usually due to having old worn pipes and, in some instances, old tree roots wrapping around and cracking the pipes. Ground water leaking into your basement is also another area where a professional plumber would be able to help you avert bothersome damage including nasty mold infestations.
- Drainage and Sewer Problems – Through the years, dirt, grime, and sediments could clog your drainage system and cause blockages that require professional implements to clear up. Your septic tank and sump pit would also be filling up and needing some discharging with heavy-duty equipment.
- Bathroom and Kitchen Remodeling – You do not only have to pay attention to all the interior decorating details and new fixtures you want to install when you remodel your kitchen or your bathroom. It would be a good idea to revisit your existing water supply and sewage system to see if there are areas where you need to include in your redesign as well.
- Water Heating Systems – Your HVAC systems and water tanks can also be repaired and maintained by professional plumbers to make sure that your home is supplied with the hot water it needs all year round. If your water heating system is quite old, there might be newer installations that work better in giving you your hot water supply and is more energy efficient to save you some money in your electricity bills too. Some plumbing services might also be able to offer you alternatives such as tankless water heaters, solar water heaters, gas water heaters, and heat pumps.
October 19, 2011
So you’re taking a shower and just when you are about to rinse the soap from your face, the water gets bone-chillingly cold! How many times has this happened to you? Running out of hot water when it is needed is a common problem with traditional water heaters, you might think that this can easily be remedied by switching to a new heater with a larger capacity tank, but the truth is that even big tanks will run out of water eventually, bigger tanks also cost a lot of money. The real solution to this dilemma is to replace your old water heater and try one of those new Tacoma tankless water heaters.
Advantages of Tankless Water Heaters over Traditional Ones
- Energy Saving – Traditional water heaters need to constantly heat up a water tank so that there is always hot water ready, the water gets heated up even if you don’t need it, and if you run it, a lot of energy needs to be used to heat up all the water in the tank. With tankless water heaters, you save on energy because it only heats the water when it is needed; it shuts off automatically when it is not needed.
- They last longer than traditional water heaters – Because tankless water heaters heat up the water as they pass through it, no mineral deposits will accumulate in the pipes due to stagnant water. If you buy a reputable brand of tankless water heater, they can last for up to 20 years without the need to have it replaced. Unlike traditional water heaters that need to have periodic maintenance and is constantly in need of repairs.
- They save on space – Traditional water heaters need to have a large space because of the water tank. If you have a small home then finding a place for it can be tough. Finding enough space is not a problem with tankless water heaters, since they are usually only the size of a medicine cabinet, they can be conveniently placed under the bathroom sink.
- They are safer – Tankless water heaters come with a built-in thermostat so that you can set how hot the water will be heated. This is good for families that have small children as they won’t get scalded by overly hot water like in traditional heaters.
Even though tankless water heaters have these many advantages, there is still one thing that makes people shy away from buying these types of water heaters, and that is the high price. Typically, a good tankless water heater costs as much as three times that of a traditional water heating system, and not a lot of people would want to spend that much money on hot water. But if you think about it, because tankless water heaters can save on energy and is relatively maintenance-free you will be saving a lot of money in the long run.
So if you’re tired of all the hassles that traditional water heaters have, then go tankless!
October 17, 2011
In some Tacoma homes water treatment is a necessity. Not every home has access to good, clean water. This is especially true for those living in rural areas and those living in cities with older city water systems. Without home water treatment, tap water can contain an overabundance of minerals, bacteria, or even parasites. Water purification can both soften water for washing or bathing and make it 100 percent safe for drinking. Two forms of water treatment include water softeners and ultraviolet disinfection.
Water softeners are fixtures that filter water, removing hard minerals that can be the cause of several problems. Hard water is not only bad for the hair and skin, but it also makes everyday chores like washing dishes and doing laundry almost impossible. In addition, there are several financial costs involved in having hard water. It is estimated that a family of four can save over $90 each month with a water softener system.
One of the ways water softening will save you money is in soap costs. Soap and detergents fail to create suds and do their job as cleaners in water that is too hard. A water softener can end up saving you up to 70 percent on your current expenditures for soap.
Another way home water softening saves money is in water heating costs. Hard water takes much more energy to heat and it eventually corrodes water heaters, so they have to be replaced much sooner than their average lifespan indicates. Heating costs can be reduced by 20 percent after installing a water softener. Discuss water softener installation with your Tacoma plumbing contractor.
An ultraviolet disinfection water treatment system is a chemical-free way to kill bacteria and other micro organisms that may be contaminating your groundwater. These machines irradiate water with UV-C radiation with wavelengths of 240-280 nano-meters. This radiation is deadly to micro organisms as it destroys their DNA. It is also very effective against parasites, even those that are very resistant to chemical disinfectants.
UV water treatment, known as photolysis, is not only effective; it is also very affordable when compared to the cost of other types of treatments. The best part is that you don’t need to do anything. The UV system does all the labor for you.
October 12, 2011
When you work all day and need to take care of things at home – the kids, dinner, and other house work – the last thing you want to think about is scheduling any kind of home improvement or repair inspection. Yet, these things eventually take precedent if you want to keep your home running smoothly and not have to worry about expensive repair bills later on. A Tacoma plumbing inspection is beneficial for your home life in that it is proactive and can eventually help save you money. If you are interested (and who isn’t?), let’s take a look at some ways a plumbing inspection is beneficial to you.
1) If you plan to invest in a new home or other property where plumbing is a concern, offering to pay for a plumbing inspection can help you determine if the price is right. A plumber can tell you whether or not to anticipate problems or massive repairs and replacements, which will then help you negotiate a better price on the property if you still wish to buy it. Such inspections are great precautionary measures.
2) A thorough inspection can help explain why your water bills are high, if they are indeed. If you have noticed in recent months you are paying more for water when you have not used any more than you typically do in a month, there could be something wrong with your pipes, or perhaps there is an undetected leak. A plumber will know where exactly to check to confirm your suspicions.
3) An inspection can also help you decide what needs to be done in your home to allow for a more energy efficient system. If you are concerned about environmental issues and want to better “green” your home, find out if such appliances will work better in your house and what is involved in making the switch.
4) A regular plumbing inspection, even when you have no plans to renovate or look for repairs, simply makes you a better homeowner. You are more in tune with your house and how it works, and as your plumber explains the process you will hone your intuition in the event something does go wrong.
A plumbing inspection need not be invasive or inconvenient for you. Quite the opposite, you could discover things you didn’t realize about your plumbing system. Done correctly, you could discover ways to save money on your water and energy bills, and catch problems before they explode. Consider an annual inspection for your pipes and fixtures today.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6619271
October 10, 2011
There is more to what a professional Tacoma plumber does than plugging leaks. Every responsible homeowner would know that a house’s plumbing system is composed of interrelated and interconnected components that all have to be properly installed, running efficiently, and maintained regularly. Unless the homeowner is himself a plumbing expert, all these tasks are best left in the hands of professional plumbers with relevant training and experience, and equipped with the necessary tools of the trade. Fortunately for most homeowners, there are a lot of these plumbing contractors around today listed in online directories and in local directories as well, offering services in plumbing installations, leak diagnosis and repairs, sump pump and sewage ejector services, toilet and sewer repairs, water heater installation and maintenance, and bathroom and kitchen remodeling services among others.
The quality of plumbing services you get, for obvious reasons, should not be compromised in any way – would you rather save money on professional fees and suffer from a nasty mold infestation in your basement because of a haphazardly cleaned up ground water leak? Although there are simple jobs that you do not have to pay a professional for, the more complicated plumbing jobs like re-piping and fixture installations should be relegated to the more capable hands of plumbing experts. You need to make sure that the Tacoma plumber you hire to do your plumbing services have the right professional credentials and a considerable amount of experience in jobs that are more complicated than fixing a leaky faucet or unclogging a sink drain.
When looking for a plumbing contractor, pay attention to:
- Credentials – All Tacoma plumbing contractors have to be licensed and should be able to provide their license number for verification with the appropriate state or federal regulatory office. Ask also for information on relevant education, training, and experience the contractor might have to show his level of knowledge, competence, and expertise in his trade. You can also include a background check with the Better Business Bureau in your screening procedure to see whether there are complaints filed against the contractor by previous customers.
- Pricing – Most contractors would be able to provide you with a quote that you can review prior to signing a service agreement. It is recommended that you get quotes from at least three contractors so you can compare them and negotiate for the appropriate adjustments in the quote of the contractor you are leaning towards hiring. Keep in mind that these quotes are often subject to adjustments depending on actual conditions and material costs as the job is on-going. This notwithstanding, the need to stick as close to your budget as possible should be clearly stated and made understandable in all discussions with the plumbing contractor.
- Scope of Work and Warranties – For your peace of mind, you should ask your plumbing contractor to draw up a service agreement detailing all the specifications of the job at hand. A warranty that provides for no-charge servicing on necessary repairs and replacement of parts involved in the job should be included in this service agreement. A Tacoma plumber who refuses to take accountability for the quality of his work by agreeing to come back for unexpected repairs is not worthy of being considered for the project at all.
October 6, 2011
When water is heated, the calcium carbonate present in it gets precipitated and settles down. When this happens inside your hot water heater, it leads to a buildup of sediments inside the water tank. If there is any sand or other particulate matter present in the water, it can also pile up inside the tank.
Sediment buildup is generally a very slow process, but if you live in an area where the water is very hard, your water heater can get filled up really fast. If your heater is all filled up with sediment, you might not get sufficient hot water flow or it might not be at the desired temperature. The best way to avoid this is to have the heater flushed out at regular intervals.
Another common problem with Tacoma water heaters, both propane and electric is that of the appliance running out of hot water quickly or only supplying warm water. This issue might be on account of a broken or leaking dip tube or a burnt out heating element. The dip tube is a small plastic tube that allows cold water to flow into the bottom of the tank.
If this dip tube is broken, the hot and cold water will mix and you will only get warm water. This issue can be easily and quickly resolved by having the dip tube replaced. However, if your heater has a defective thermostat or the heating element has burned out, it might need bigger repairs or a complete replacement.
Some heaters that work on propane gas often make sounds when the temperature rises. This is generally on account of a build up on sediment at the bottom of the water tank. As the water heats up, steam bubbles form under the sediment and then rise through it to escape to the top of the water tank. Again, the issue can be resolved by flushing out the heater completely.
A major issue that plagues many Tacoma water heaters is that of pressure buildup. When water gets heated inside the heater, it expands. All heaters have a pressure reducing valve or check valve to allow this pressure to be released. But if this valve is blocked due to any reason, the pressure can rise quickly. If left unchecked, the pressure might rise to a level where the heater bursts.
To control this pressure you can have a temperature-pressure valve or a thermal expansion tank installed on your inlet line. This would allow the pressure to be released without any cause for concern. The temperature-pressure valve is a sensitive device that has a life-span of just about two years. If you water heater has such a valve, you should get it checked and replaced periodically.
Tankless heaters in Tacoma that do not store water for heating are also good alternatives as these would not have any chances of the pressure going out of control. Such heaters have direct vents for water inlet and outlet and the water flows through the heating element, which gets it heated.
Hot water heaters are mechanical and electrical devices and all devices can develop problems over time. This does not mean they should be replaced immediately. Most issues can be resolved by taking minor precautions. All it requires is a bit of understanding and care.
October 4, 2011
What’s the situation?
Is it something you need to fix immediately or it can wait for few days? Will the small leakage affect other water supply systems or it’s alone need to be fixed? Trying to fix a major and interrelated plumbing or drain problem would not be a good idea. People sometimes try to fix the leakage all by themselves or call a good-neighbour for this to save the money they would need to pay the professional service provider. Decide the situation and the urgency. Trying to fix a major blockage or pipe fix all by yourself can cost you even more in the long run. If the problem is deep, it would require specialized equipments, high-tech machinery, skills and expertise to solve it. Trying to solve such a major issue would only make it more complex. Your professional Tacoma drain cleaning contractor can unblock clogged drains without even damaging the pipes and flooring of the home but your good-neighbour can create a bigger damage. It is often better to call a professional service if you’ve other tasks to finish. The costs are often affordable and the repair work is done pretty perfectly.
What’s the reason behind the blockage or damage?
Do you have any clue what could be the possible reason for the blockage or damage? Did it happen only because the whole system has been running for a very long and needs replacement, for casual issues or an unexpected issue like tree roots? Usually when the plumbing system, water supply and pipes work flawlessly people don’t give it a thought but when pipes block up and overflow, they take some quick decision to fix it. To prevent such a catastrophe monitor your Water supply stem and pipes and when the blockage or leakage happens try to find out the reason behind it to take the right steps.
Selecting the professional service provider:
Selecting the most appropriate professional for your cleaning and blockage problem needs some serious thought. A random selection can be a frustrating experience and more costly eventually. Go for the right one who can ensure that the quality job was done to make your building infrastructure was not affected. Emphasize the task at hand while selecting the service provider: is it because of a makeover of a kitchen, bathroom or even a renewal of a plumbing system or renovating an old house you have bought.